The eight National Centres of Competence in Research (NCCRs) of the third series, which started in 2010, are to be continued. The SNSF has allocated a total of CHF 128 million to these NCCRs for a second four-year funding period. For the first time, a portion of the funding amount was awarded based on competition between the NCCRs.
An NCCR lasts for no more than 12 years. The running time is divided into three funding periods of four years each. Towards the end of the first and second funding period, each NCCR applies for a continuation.
20% of funds allocated on competitive basis
For the continuation of the series started in 2010, the SNSF has distributed a portion of the available funds based on direct competition between the NCCRs. To this end, it compared the performance and perspectives of each NCCR until now. All evaluated NCCRs were awarded a second funding period owing to their performance until now, which ranges from very good to outstanding. The positive decision of the SNSF comes with a basic grant of 80% of the funds from the previous period for each NCCR. After redistribution of the remaining funds on a competitive basis, the total approved funding amount per NCCR lies between 82% and 120% of the previous budget.
The NCCRs to be continued are:
- NCCR "Chemical Biology - Visualising and Controlling Biological Processes using Chemistry"
- NCCR "Kidney.CH: Kidney Control of Homeostasis"
- NCCR "LIVES: Overcoming Vulnerability - Life Course Perspectives"
- NCCR "MUST: Molecular Ultrafast Science and Technology"
- NCCR "QSIT: Quantum Science and Technology"
- NCCR "Robotics: Intelligent Robots for Improving the Quality of Life"
- NCCR "SYNAPSY: Synaptic Bases of Mental Diseases"
- NCCR "TransCure: From Transport Physiology to Identification of Therapeutic Targets"