Elections at the SNSF: members of the Presiding Board of the Research Council elected
The eight members of the Presiding Board of the Research Council are elected or confirmed every four years in a general election.
The general elections are conducted by the Executive Committee of the Foundation Council. As of 1 January 2016, the Presiding Board of the Research Council will be composed as follows. (FA = Specialised Committee):
- Martin Vetterli, President of the Research Council, EPF Lausanne
- Paul Schubert, Humanities and Social Sciences division, University of Geneva
- Harald Brune, Mathematics, Natural and Engineering Sciences division, EPF Lausanne
- Urs Frey, Biology and Medicine division, University of Basel (until 31 March 2016);
new President of the Biology and Medicine division as of 1 April 2016: Dominique
Soldati-Favre, University of Geneva
- Katharina Fromm, Programmes division, University of Fribourg
- Urs Baltensperger, FA International Co-operation, Paul Scherrer Institute
- Rita Franceschini, FA Interdisciplinary Research, Libera Università di Bolzano
- Beatrice Beck-Schimmer, FA Careers, University of Zurich (succeeds Katia
Saporiti, University of Zurich)
New Research Councillor for Programmes division
Furthermore, the Executive Committee of the Foundation Council has newly appointed Claudia Binder as Research Councillor for the Programmes division in the area of environmental sciences, ecology and geography. She is currently full professor of human-environment relations at the Geography department of Ludwig-Maximilians University (LMU) in Munich. Within the Programmes division, she will succeed Nina Buchmann, ETH Zurich, as of 1 January 2016. Claudia Binder has also been appointed full professor of urban ecology and sustainable living at EPF Lausanne as of spring 2016.