Expanding knowledge and solving problems. That is what thousands of SNSF-funded research teams do. Their curiosity and their systematic study of nature, technology and society are key drivers of progress.
Research and its context are constantly evolving. The SNSF wants to
anticipate and help shape these changes. Therefore, we defined four strategic priorities that will guide us in our work until 2028. Our aim is to continue to offer optimal conditions for creative research in the future. And, together with the higher education institutions, to promote talented researchers according to their needs.
In so doing, we are enhancing Switzerland's innovative strength and
societal well-being. At the same time, we are contributing to the United Nations' Agenda 2030. Its sustainable development goals, aimed at improving the lives of people the world over, are very important to us.
We promote Diversity in Research
The SNSF has a clear mandate: to promote the widest possible range of scientific research in Switzerland. The more diverse research is, the more exciting and pioneering will be the ideas it generates. We still need to fine-tune our evaluation processes to better account for the multitude of groups and types of research. Women-led projects and projects submitted from universities of applied sciences, for example, are still under-represented in our funding portfolio. We want to remedy this. All researchers and all ideas should benefit from equal opportunities – this will secure Switzerland’s long-term success as a world-leading research hub.
- We are open to all groups and types of scientific research
- We promote scientific careers, not just academic ones.
- We set quality standards for different types of research.
We shape the Future of Research
Research in Switzerland is strong and internationally very well connected, and we want it to stay that way. So that it can continue to propose solutions for the profound challenges that society faces, be it climate change, pandemics or artificial intelligence. Together with our partners, we stimulate and invigorate the continuous development of research. Strategically, we are thinking ahead to create the funding schemes of the future, inspired by the latest scientific findings.
- We promote research capacity creation in promising fields.
- We expand our research policy expertise and share it with others.
We convey the Value of Research
Research results must have an impact within academia and beyond. Otherwise they are not worth the investment. The findings of researchers supported by SNSF grants should be made available as soon as possible and in suitable form. This includes any perceived setbacks. All of this knowledge together is a foundation for further curiosity-driven research. It informs political decisions and provides a basis for the development of products and services. Science must have continual public presence and show that it is worth the money spent on it.
- We make research outputs visible and usable.
- We demonstrate the impact of research.
- We convey the importance of the SNSF as a public research funder.
We strengthen the Competence of the SNSF
Our partners and grantees confirm that we are doing a good job. However, will we actually be able to implement our strategic priorities? Yes, if the Administrative Offices and our honourary bodies develop and closely coordinate our expertise, infrastructure and processes. This will enable us, as an organisation of experts, to maximise our efforts - for the good of science. That is our goal and our mandate.
- We support our colleagues and recognise that they are our most important asset.
- We provide efficient, high-quality services.
- We are forging ahead thanks to optimal cooperation.
- We use the full range of information and communication technologies intelligently.
- We endeavour to obtain appropriate and sustainable funding from the Swiss government.