Three Research Council divisions under new leadership
Bernd Gotsmann, Gabriele Rippl and Anna Fontcuberta i Morral will lead specialised bodies of the National Research Council of the SNSF as of October 2020 / January 2021. They will also become members of the Presiding Board.
The National Research Council evaluates the submitted research proposals and selects the best projects for funding. The Council is composed of a maximum of 100 leading researchers. New members are elected by the Executive Committee of the Foundation Council of the SNSF.
The new members of the Presiding Board are:
- Bernd Gotsmann, IBM Research GmbH, president of the Mathematics, Natural and Engineering Sciences division; he takes over from Arjen K. Lenstra on 1 October 2020.
- Gabriele Rippl, University of Bern, president of the Specialised Committee Careers; she takes over from Fritz Schlunegger on 1 October 2020.
- Anna Fontcuberta i Morral, EPF Lausanne, president of the Specialised Committee International Cooperation; she takes over from Katharina Michaelowa on 1 January 2021.
The new members of the Research Council are:
Biology and Medicine division
- John Richard Pannell, University of Lausanne, for plant ecology, as of 1 October 2020
- Carlo Rivolta, University of Basel, for eukaryotic genetics and genome analysis, as of 1 October 2020
- Matthias Stuber, University of Lausanne, for molecular, functional and structural imaging and image-based therapy, as of 1 April 2021
- Roberto Coppari, University of Geneva, for integrative physiology, as of 1 April 2021
They replace Markus Fischer (plant ecology), Anita Rauch (eukaryotic genetics and genome analysis), Chris Boesch (molecular imaging and functional pharmacology) and Bernard Thorens (integrative physiology).
- Annalisa Buffa, EPF Lausanne, for mathematics, as of 1 January 2021
- Martin Lengwiler, University of Basel, for history and political science, as of 1 January 2021
They replace Friedrich Eisenbrand (mathematics, computer science) and Katharina Michaelowa (social sciences).